Election of JBA Officers
A President-Elect and five (5) members of the Board of Governors are to be elected by the date of the Annual Meeting of the Association to be held on Tuesday, May 16th, 2017.
Nominations for the current board election must be submitted to the Association office either in writing, facsimile or email prior to 5:00 P.M., Thursday, March 30, 2017 along with a recent color photograph and the candidate profile form. Nominations will not be accepted after that date and time. Nominations must be in the form of a written petition, endorsed by 10 active members of the Association, specifying the name of the nominee and the office for which he/she is nominated, and endorsed by the nominee. Endorsements may be submitted to the association in writing, facsimile to 904-399-4854 or email to email@example.com, and must either include a signature or an electronically communicated message stating or affirming that each individual endorses the candidate for the office sought.
To obtain a nomination petition contact the Association office at 904-399-4486 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. The petition can also be found under the Calendar of Events.
2017 Professionalism Award Nomination
Submission deadline: March 31st, 2017
There are many outstanding lawyers in our community, and this award is a great way to recognize those members of the JBA who embody and embrace the ideals of professionalism and who practice law with integrity, honor and civility. The award will be presented at the The Professionalism Conference at The Players Championship. The award criteria and nomination form can be found on-line at https://www.jaxbar.org/view-events/.
YLS Judicial Breakfast
YOU ARE INVITED TO ATTEND
THE YOUNG LAWYERS SECTION ANNUAL JUDICIAL BREAKFAST
March 23, 2017
Chief Judge’s Chambers
Duval County Courthouse
Please RSVP to Michael Lockamy via email to email@example.com
Compete in our March Madness 2017 Contest!
FREE contest open to all JBA Members only. YOU MUST LOG-IN TO REGISTER.
The Monday after Selection Sunday participants will receive a March Madness bracket, which you will need to complete and return to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5p.m., Tuesday, March 14, 2017.
Contest results will be posted following the end of the tournament, Tuesday, April 4, 2017.
1st Prize – 2017-2018 JBA Membership
2nd Prize – JBA Lawyer Referral Service Membership
3rd Prize – Free Sidebar Luncheon CLE in 2017
Softball Registration Deadline Extended to March 10th
The JBA Softball League will make its triumphant return beginning March 14, 2017. The length of the season will depend on the amount of teams in the league.
ONLY $250 PER TEAM!! $50 per Free Agent!
Who is eligible:
- JBA Members and Firm employees of JBA Members
- Spouses and Children of JBA Members
- Currently enrolled Law Students and/or One Year Removed from Graduation
- All ages and ability levels are encouraged to participate!! Playgrounds are adjacent to the fields … BRING THE FAMILY!!
- Sign up as a team or as a Free Agent
- Not enough players to form a full team?? We will put you all on the same team.
- Form a Joint Team with another Firm!
- Any questions on eligibility, please contact email@example.com
Where: Ringhaver Park, 5198 118th St, Jacksonville, FL 32244 NAS Jax
When: Tuesday Nights beginning at 7 p.m.
Please contact John Weedon at firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
Congratulations to Christian George!
Please join us in congratulating Christian George, JBA’s Young Lawyers Section Preident in being elected by the Board of Governors of The Florida Bar Young Lawyers Division (YLD) to serve as president-elect in 2017. He will be sworn in as president-elect by the Chief Justice of the Florida Supreme Court during The Florida Bar’s General Assembly meeting on June 23, 2017 and he will begin his term as president in June 2018.
Easy, Fast, Efficient CLE Hours – Anytime! Anywhere!
Tired of having to scrounge up CLE credits at the last minute? The Jacksonville Bar is proud to introduce its new addition to Jaxbar.org – a full access CLE video library where you can go to purchase online CLE presentations, and get those CLE credits you need from the convenience of your home or office. You may choose from as few as .5 CLER hours and up to 8.0 CLER hours, including various certification hours. Just select the videos that correspond with the CLE credits you need, purchase them, watch online and submit for credit.
Family Law – Technology Law – Transactional Law – Professionalism for New Practitioners
JBA-YLS Charity Chili Cook-Off
We’re bringing chili, charity and community together on February 18, 2017 from 11am-2pm at the famed Riverside Arts Market (RAM) under the canopy of the Fuller Warren Bridge!
The Cook-Off will also feature live music by Fratello, drinks and other treats, so bring the whole family out for a great time!
All proceeds will benefit Anthony J. Stinson Association for Change, a local charity working to support the Northside community by offering tutoring, donations, mentorship and civic guidance for Jacksonville’s youth. New and gently used donation items are also accepted (esp. board games like chess, checkers, puzzles, books, school supplies and snacks for students) and part of the friendly competition!
Head to RAM on Feb. 18th to vote for your favorite chili, support a great cause and spend some time with family and friends!
Want to see your firm’s logo on the Chili Cook-Off? Sponsorships welcome! Contact email@example.com for details.
Brennan Manna Diamond
15th Annual Raymond Ehrlich Trial Advocacy Seminar
February 2, 2017 – 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Wells Fargo Center, 1 Independent Dr., 2nd Floor
Just a few highlights of what to expect:
- Opening remarks on Justice Raymond Ehrlich by the Honorable Tyrie W. Boyer, Fourth Judicial Circuit
- Honorable Mark H. Mahon, Chief Judge, Fourth Judicial Circuit will moderate an appellate judicial panel that includes Chief Justice Jorge Labarga, Florida Supreme Court; Honorable Wendy Berger, Fifth District Court of Appeal; Honorable Martha Warner, Fourth District Court of Appeal; and Honorable Harvey Jay, First District Court of Appeal. The panel will draw from their extensive experience to discuss best practices in trial advocacy from an appellate perspective.
- Esteemed Professor Charles Ehrhardt, Florida State University College of Law, will provide analysis and instruction on evidentiary issues practitioners and judges face at trial with an emphasis on hearsay, the Daubert standard and introduction, authentication and use of electronic data.
- Honorable Timothy J. Corrigan, United States District Judge, will moderate a panel of trial judges as they discuss evidentiary issues with Professor Ehrhardt, instruct on communicating effectively with the jury and provide practical tips on how to enhance openings, closings, and direct/cross examinations.
4.0 General CLER, 1.0 Appellate Practice, 2.0 Civil Trial, 1.0 Criminal Appellate Law, and 1.0 Criminal Trial Law Certification Credits has been applied for with The Florida Bar.
An early bird price of $108 is available to members through 5pm on January 19th (10% discount for those who register and pay two weeks in advance of the program), after which the price will increase to $120 for members. Non-Member price is fixed at $160.
Exclusive Program Sponsors: Lexis Nexis
Introducing New Membership Terms!
For the 2017 year, The Jacksonville Bar Association has implemented a new option for memberships—the JBA will now offer two membership cycles. The first cycle will run a calendar year from January 1, 2017 to December 31, 2017. The second cycle will run a fiscal year from July 1, 2017 to June 30, 2018.
Other than the dates, the membership cycles are exactly the same. There is no price difference and each cycle offers the same number of events. The two cycles were established for the benefit and convenience of our members.
The discounted half-year membership option will no longer be offered.